Thursday, April 2, 2015

Day 38 of My Lenten Journey

38. Self -sufficiency

Let me be clear.  I'm not talking about that I need to not be independent and instead lean on others for assistance.  I mean trusting and depending upon God and not solely on myself.  Self-sufficiency is similar to pride which I spoke of last week.  It is thinking you can do something, anything all on your own and you don't need God.  I would say the extreme example would be an atheist.

Not that we are competent in ourselves to claim anything for ourselves, but our competence comes from God.  2 Corinthians 3:5

It's having a different kind of work ethic.  I do all I can in my physical state like it is all me, but I trust God to supply all my needs, because I can do nothing in my own strength.

And God is able to bless you abundantly, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work:  2 Corinthians 9:8

Back in the 90's watching Friends one of the characters had a theme song, maybe Phoebe?  Anyway, I adopted a theme song for myself as I began to teach in my early years.  It was "I Have Confidence" from the movie version of the Sound of Music.  It talks all about having confidence in yourself.
While that was all well and good and it built up my courage to face some very tough classroom challenges, I was missing something--trust and confidence in God.  Now one of my favorite verses is what I pray each time I step into a classroom.

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.  Philippians 4:13

It's so very close and similar, but it is acknowledging where our strength and courage and endurance comes from--Jesus Christ.  I can do nothing in my own strength in doing God's will.  I need his help. It boils down to trusting God at the basic level and acknowledging him, giving him the glory. 

But, he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weakness, so that Christ's power may rest on me. 2 Corinthians 12:9
 

No comments: