Friday, March 27, 2015

Day 33 of My Lenten Journey

33. Pride

Pride is one of the seven deadly sins and something God utterly detests.

To fear the Lord is to hate evil; I hate pride and arrogance, evil behavior and perverse speech. Proverbs 8:13

I think the place where I have the


biggest problem in pride and arrogance is musically. After having some success in my very early years, I became prideful thinking, "I did it!" I didn't give much credit to God for any part of it: the gift of my talent, the work put in, the people or the performance.

Pride goes before destruction, a haughty spirit before a fall. Proverbs 16:18

How can I take credit for a talent and gift God has given me? As I have grown older and had more experience, I now realize that I was completely full of self-righteousness. I did not do any of it on my own. I have learned to be a bit more humble and my usual comeback when someone says what a great job I did is, "the choir did a great job! God just gave me the gift of waving my arms!"

Every now and then I will still
have an arrogant musical moment. It's usually when I'm bored or frustrated. This is where I need more patience and help to be better before I fall in a bad way.

Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love. Ephesians 4:2

It's not what we say about ourselves that matters, it's what we say about God and his glory that is the big deal.

But, “Let the one who boasts boast in the Lord.” For it is not the one who commends himself who is approved, but the one whom the Lord commends. 2 Corinthians 10:18

No comments: