Thursday, March 19, 2015

Day 26 of My Lenten Journey

26.  Busyness

Busyness seems to go along with 2 of the ones I have already discussed:  distractions and over- commitment.   However, when I went to think on the positive side or opposite, I decided on the word "still."  Immediately, God gave me the verse. I didn't even have to look it up.  It is one that I have sung to little pre-schoolers to calm them down or get them into a transition period.

Be still and know that I am God.  Psalm 46:10

These days our calendars seem so full and that there are not enough hours in the day.  We are rushing from place to place, activity to activity, commitment to commitment.  How quickly we lose touch with what is truly important.  Where has all this busyness gotten me?  I am more tired and want to give up and give in at the end of the day.  When I am rushed and feeling the pressure of getting kids where they need to be and on time, getting dinner on the table so we can get to the next thing, or just a full day, I get overwhelmed and in the end I end up taking it out on those around me--my kids and my husband usually.  How fair is that?  And if my relationships around me suffer, my relationship with God will suffer too.

Daily quiet time with God is what is needed, which to me means prayer and Bible study and listening for that still quiet voice.

But the Lord was not in the wind: and after the wind an earthquake; but the Lord was not in the earthquake: and after the earthquake a fire; but the Lord was not in the fire:  and after the fire a still small voice.  1 Kings 19:11-12

I am really bad about this.  It is so hard to really find the time to just sit still with God at the same time everyday without distractions, so mine ends up being really sporadic.   I think over the past 10 years, I have gotten so much better, but there is room to be made.  I need to ask Him what is really important and see what he wants me to change or get rid of in our daily family life.

Another important thing I try to incorporate is week night dinners as a family and then keeping the Sabbath by avoiding any activity that is not God serving on Sundays.  Does that always happen?
Nope, but I try desperately.

Honor the Sabbath day and keep it holy.  Exodus 20:8

The good thing is that I know I can always rest in Him, everyday.

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest."  Matthew 11:28

No comments: