Sunday, March 8, 2015

Day 17 of My Lenten Journey

17.  Spirit of Poverty

This one was interesting to study up on and I'm only scratching the surface.  As I began I thought it was basically wants versus needs.  Maybe another way to say it is a nice word for greed of which Jesus warns.

Watch out!  Be on your guard against all kinds of greed; life does not consist in an abundance of possessions.  Luke 12:15

The greedy stir up conflict, but those who trust in The Lord prosper.  Proverbs 28:25

As I read further, it took me to more of a mind, emotion and attitude problem rather than a money problem.  This spirit of poverty makes us focus on the minor things in fear rather than the blessings God has given to us in faith and also in return, our attitude in how we give back to God.

The first thing to remember is God is out provider and all things come from him.  Remember when Abraham was to sacrifice Isaac and Isaac asked where would they get the lamb?  Abraham's reply was that God would provided and he did!  Isaac was not killed and Abraham then named the place Yahweh-Yireh meaning the Lord will provide.  (Genesis 22)

So, do not worry about what to eat, or drink to what to wear.  These thoughts dominate the thoughts of unbelievers, but your Heavenly Father already knows all your needs.  Seek the kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously and he will give you everything you need.  Matthew 6:32-33

Another point is that God knows what you need even before you ask!  Matthew 6:8

Very truly I tell you, my Father will give you whatever you ask in my name...ask and you will receive and your joy will be complete.  John 16:23-24

The third thing is that God wants to bless us because he loves us so much.  And, truly I feel his blessing every single day.  Living in the suburbs of Dallas, it's almost embarraing how blessed be are compared to other regions of our county, state, country and world.  I must remember to thank him daily for his blessings.

Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights.  James 1:17

Here's where I am going to leave this because I don't want to be like the hypocrites in the rest of Matthew 6.  There are pockets of the spirit of poverty in my life.  I can do better and with Stephen we are seeking the Lord's direction in what he has blessed us with to bless others for his glory.

From everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded;  and from the one who has been entrusted with much, much more will be asked.  Luke 12:48

God will always provide enough and what is needed.

No comments: